Procurement

Post Product

  • Post Supply
  • Manage Supplies

Talks at Deadlock, U.S. President Threatens to 'Blow Oman to Smithereens'

   2026-08-19 Global Times30

As the 60-day negotiation window set by the memorandum of understanding signed by the United States and Iran on June 17 expired, the conflict between the two countries is far from over. On the 17th local time, when asked whether the U.S. sought to extend the memorandum of understanding with Iran, U.S. President Trump gave a negative answer. Oman, a Gulf state that has long brokered U.S.-Iran talks and consistently emphasized its neutral stance, was unexpectedly placed in the 'crosshairs,' with Trump threatening to 'blow it to smithereens.' Although Oman has yet to respond, some analysts believe the U.S.'s unpredictable behavior is putting more and more regional allies on alert. Not only is global shipping and energy being dragged down by the prolonged conflict, but the latest polls show Trump's approval rating has also hit a new low since he took office again as U.S. president last year. According to multiple media citing sources, the U.S. government is looking for a 'scapegoat' for the conflict. U.S. Defense Secretary Hegseth may have to 'take the fall.'

The threat stems from 'frustration and anxiety.'

According to the Washington Post on the 17th, Trump made the threat in an interview with Fox News that day. When Fox News reporter Trey Yingst asked about negotiations between Iran and Oman over control of the Strait of Hormuz, Trump said: 'If Oman gets in the way, we'll blow it to smithereens.' Trump also said Iran should 'raise the white flag and surrender,' but he also said he had no timeline and was 'not in a hurry' to reach a permanent agreement with Iran.

This is another threat Trump has made against Oman this year. In May, news emerged that Oman was in talks with Iran over Hormuz Strait toll sharing, and Trump threatened then that if Oman tried to control the Strait of Hormuz together with Iran, 'we would blow them up.' At a time when Iran and Oman are finalizing a memorandum of understanding on the Hormuz Strait, some U.S. media analysis suggests the renewed U.S. threat stems from frustration and anxiety over the current stalemate.

Source: Global Times | Original

 
ReportCollect0Reward 0Comment 0
Disclaimer
• 
This article is an original work by {author}. Reproduction is welcome, but please indicate the original source: {linkurl}. The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone, and the website has not verified the content. Readers are advised to use it for reference only. If the article involves content that violates public morality or laws, it will be deleted immediately upon discovery, and the author shall bear the corresponding responsibilities. In case of copyright or other issues, please contact us in a timely manner.
 
More>Similar News
Recommended images and text
Recommend News
Click to rank

Sign Up

For enterprise

Tel:132-7094-5888

Scan with Phone

Support

Tel:132-7094-5888

Program

Mini Program

Procurement Advisory

Scan with WeChat

WeChat

Business Opportunities

Scan with WeChat

Top